Ekalaka Public Schools is Hiring Bus route drivers for the 23-24 school year. Training is provided and paid. If you are interested please fill out an application. One can be downloaded here: Classified Application Form
Starting wage for a CDL Bus driver is $21.72 for route and activity drive time, non CDL driver and activity wait time starts at $16.00 per hour.
Bus Driver Qualifications
A driver of a school bus is qualified to drive a school bus if the driver:
- 1. is not less than 18 years of age;
- 2. is of good moral character;
- 3. is the holder of a commercial driver's license;
- 4. has filed with the district a satisfactory medical examination report, on a form approved by the United States Department of Transportation, signed by any physician licensed in the United States or, if acceptable to an insurance carrier, any licensed physician;
- 5. has completed a basic first aid and CPR course, and holds a valid basic first aid and CPR certificate from an authorized instructor. The issuance of the certificate is governed by rules established by the Superintendent of the Office of Public Instruction, if the rules may suspend this requirement for
- a reasonable period if there has been an inadequate opportunity for securing the basic first aid course and certificate.
- 6. has complied with any other qualifications established by the Board of Public Education; and
- 7. has filed with the County Superintendent a certificate from the Trustees of the district for which the school bus is to be driven, certifying compliance with the driver qualifications enumerated
Bus Drivers are also required to the following:
- a. Have a minimum of five years of licensed driving experience;
- b. no record of criminal offenses indicating they may be dangerous to children, as evidenced by a criminal background check provided to and approved by the school district prior to initial employment;
- c. a safe driving record, which may not have evidence of any of the following:
- i. more than one moving traffic violation within any 12-month period of the preceding 36 months;
- ii. any conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs within the preceding 36 months; or
- iii. a conviction resulting in mandatory revocation or suspension of a driver's license in the previous five years
Bus Driver Licensing
A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with an School Bus “S” and Passenger “P” endorsement is required when a person who drives a school bus, or who transports pre-primary, primary, or secondary school students for school-related activity trips, field trips, and operating on an approved route, in a commercial motor vehicle. The “S” endorsement shall be required for any school bus, including 16 passengers and less, and 16 passengers and more.
Drivers of school bus type E are not required to have a CDL license or endorsement. All other requirements set forth in this section are applicable to all school bus drivers.